Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Update

Hi Everyone,
Sorry I didn't post last night. There was nothing new to report. Erica spent most of the day yesterday just waiting around for answers and nothing ever came. Today has brought a few more answers but there are still some uncertainties. Erica's team of docs came in around 9:00 this morning and told us that her preliminary lab results are showing that she relapsed with leukemia, but not precisely which type. The short-term plan is to treat her with chemo in an attempt to get her into remission. If remission is achieved, her docs will have to figure out what her best option is afterwards. It is not as simple as doing another transplant, which at this point does not seem to be an option. There is talk about clinical trials or mini-transplants but nothing has been decided on for now.

Erica will most likely begin chemo tomorrow. She will be given a course of chemo that will last anywhere between 4 to 7 days. After that, the waiting game begins for her counts to drop and then to recover. Unlike the last 2 times that Erica has gone through this process, she now has the added obstacle of fighting graft versus host disease caused by the bone marrow transplant. Erica will most likely get very sick over the next couple weeks and will need your love and support more than ever. This next month will be incredibly challenging for her so I beg of you to send all of your love, energy, and courage her way. Below is her mailing address here at Stanford, she would love to hear from you.

Love, Jamie

Stanford Hospital and Clinics
E1 BMT
Attn: Erica Murray, E124
300 Pasteur Drive
Stanford, CA 94305

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erica,

All of us on F-ground are so sorry to hear about your relapse. I just want to let you know that we are all thinking of you right now. Stay strong Erica!

Jessie FGR RN

Katie Windle said...

All of our love, prayers and support? Consider it DONE. We will be right there with you to help you get through this. Love K

Anonymous said...

Erica,

I continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I will ask the faculty, staff and students at my school (Immaculate Heart HS) to pray for you. All my best to you. Hang in there!

Stacie

Unknown said...

NO! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. oh erica, jaci, mamasan, everyone ... i'm heartbroken.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your relapse. I am one of those who's been following your story. I volunteer occasionally for Asian American Donor drives.
Just walked Saturday in the Light the Night walk with a huge team to honor my wonderful wife who had a brief residency at E1. I can testify how wonderful Dr. Miklos is. Every time he came in the room we felt his good cheer.
Sending love to you and your family
Matt

Unknown said...

Oh Erica I will be thinking of you constantly!

Unknown said...

Erica-

You are always in our thoughts in prayers. Hang in there!

Marifin, Carlos & Jonah

Unknown said...

Erica-

You are always in our thoughts in prayers. Hang in there!

Marifin, Carlos & Jonah

Pim said...

Erica,

Stay strong and positive. We're all praying for you and thinking about you!!

Pim & Gary T.

SBF said...

You are loved by so many people Erica and I hope you can feel the love through your pain. We are here for you always. Love Shayna

Colombia said...

Erica,
I keep trying to think of the best thing to write. There are so many things I want to say and I just can't seem to find the words. Just know I am thinking of you and pulling for you!! Keep the faith.

Annie

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Erica.

Anonymous said...

"We get knocked down, but we get up again and keep going" 2 Corinthians 4:9 TLB. Dear Erica, For some reason I thought about you when I read this on my calendar today. Hang in there you have so many people praying and wishing good thoughts for you.
love robin (jaci's friend in Missouri)

Anonymous said...

Erica, keep fighting, sweetie. I'm praying for you and your family.

Un abrazo,

Giselle

Unknown said...

Erica, I work for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society here in San Francisco. I just read about your fight with Leukemia. If there is anything we can do to help you please let me know.
Wishing you trength and patience during these difficult times.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Dear Erica,

I have only recently found your blog through Michelle of http://projectmichelle.com/ but I saw your youtube video months ago which I absolutely love and have posted on my husband Graham's website - http://www.adonorforgraham.com.

I am so sorry to hear that you have relapsed. What a horrible word! Stay strong. You can beat this thing. There are so many wonderful new treatments being used and developed in the USA.

We send our love and good thoughts.

Sam and Graham xxx

Anonymous said...

How is Erica doing? How has the treatment been going? Keeping her in our thoughts and prayers! Hang in there, Erica! You are an awesome fighter and a strong one, too!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Erica-
Sending you lots of love, good thoughts and big hugs.
Doreen Marr and family

Unknown said...

any updates yet? when does chemo end?

WUCREW News said...

Erica
Stay strong! You have many people cheering you on,more than you may ever imagine! I have my entire Social Work class (200+ students)sending you every positive vibe they can muster and my friends and family across the US are praying for you. We are with you!!!
HOpe you liked the turtle.
WuCrew