Friday, February 17, 2006

Feb. 17, 2006


The past two days has it's ups and downs, a pattern we are learning very quickly. Two days ago we were able to get Erica up and she walked around the nurses' station as well as a lap around the floor. Granted, it was while she was all garbed up in a mask, gloves, and toting her IV machine!
Her afternoon then consisted of Jamie and Bess surprising her with wigs---as you may have seen on the previous blog---and friends gathering for a night of ordered-in Thai food. We played games and took her mind off everything for at least a little while. Her friends from Fletcher have been so outstanding and always supportive.
Yesterday was a bit more difficult with her LP, Lumbar Puncture, aka Spinal Tap. It was unsuccessful as the doctor was unable to hit the proper place & we are forced to repeat the procedure today under Fluoroscopy or an x-ray device. This tends to leave a sour note on our days...

Today is another lazy day of sleeping, between watching Season 2 of Arrested Development and the LP. Tonight Uma and Marie are coming in and Erica is thrilled to see them!! For now, just keep her in your thoughts and prayers as the chemo takes its toll on her energy and spirit.

She asked that I dictate a note to everyone, but for now, she's a bit tired. As soon as she's up for it, we'll get something more personal on here :)

4 comments:

Erik said...

Jaci, I told Uma to give Erica a big hug for me. Could you make sure that Uma gives it to her? Thank you.

volvojon said...

Hey E!

Just wanted to leave you a note letting you know I have been thinking about you all day and I wish I could be out there visiting you sooner then Thursday!
Have a great weekend and I will see you soon.

Love you,

J

Eric Kwok said...

Hey Erica!
it's Eric, your favorite "Kwok" cousin and famous producer from Hong Kong! From the blog pictures, i say you're still and always the best looking relative i have! Well, it's been a long time since i last saw you, from Robby's wedding, and never really get to have a nice chat with you. Guess this is a good to catch up with you. Hey, i know more about what you do every day than my Dad and Mom! Just don't tell my Mom that, cuz then she'll start a blog on herself. Well, now that i know everything about you, i'm sure you'll want to hear about me, something interesting right? Well, on our birthday we got another dog. We already had a Westhighland Terrier, boy, called Toro. He's 2 years old and we want to give him a companion. So we got him a girl, now 3 months old, and she's called Madonna. I'll see if i can send you some pictures. really cute. Madonna eats 4 meals a day, and i pick up 8 scoops of shit, and makes lots of noises. If anyone asks me where i get my inspiration from writing songs, i just them Madonna. Anyhow, i'll keep you updated, hello Auntie Judy! Hello Jaci! Hey, there's a great movie i thought you may want to watch if you haven't already. "Shawshank Redemption". Hope you have seen it, if not, you gotta see it! It's my all time favorite. Talk to you soon.
Eric Kwok

Raven said...

Erika,

My name is Raven, and I'm at Fletcher with you and I don't think we've even met yet but I've been thinking about you alot lately, good thoughts. I was quite sick last fall when I came back from India so I know how much it means to have support. Also, you're from Vancouver which I never knew! I grew up in Vancouver, B.C. before coming down to the U.S. for college. I was actually born in the Yukon but moved to Vancouver with my mom when I was two.

Anyway, I am so impressed by your beauty and strength going through such a trying circumstance. Know that your community at Fletcher and beyond no matter how well each of us really knows you, loves and supports you because that's what communities are for. I grew up with a religious family and my mother use to always tell me that no matter what circumstance that I faced in life, God loved me very much and would always be supporting me. I don't think it matters what religion you belong to, it's a comforting thought. All the love that is around you is evidence of this and it has a tangible effect.

I would love to get to know you at some point whether it be by email or by coffee when they let you out of there! For now then, I'll just write.

Smiles,

Raven Smith
raven.smith@gmail.com