Saturday, February 18, 2006

Personal note from Erica


Bonjour mes amis,
I'm overwhelmed by the support and love I am undeservedly receiving. This list is far from complete, but I wanted to do a few shout-outs ASAP.
First of all, to Adam and especially Gioia, who were here with me on my first night and many days since. Secondly, to my family: my Mom and sis, who have been untiring advocates, comforters, and sources of humor in the last nine days. To my dear friends, Bess and Jamie, who flew out from California immediately during my first week. Their, along with Jaci's, sweetness, organization, and leadership happily pulled me through (hopefully!) the most dependent week of my adult life. To Luke, Anne, Tom, and Denny, whose smiles, foot massages, all the comforts Best Buy/BB&B gadgetry, and jokes buoyed my spirits. To Uma and Marie: for coming all this way and bringing me palpable love, care packages, and their beautiful smiles. To Mike and Jason, for hopping on the train to bring me the best kind of therapy: laughter. Thank you also to my seudo-sis, Christine, for coming out here this weekend and for offering medical expertise as well as support to my Mom. Thanks to Kent for your visits, your help with apartment shifting, DVDs, and for the best Chinese egg tarts Boston has to offer. To Karen, Rachel, the Alumni Office at Oxy, Miki, Gab, Professor Gideon, Auntie Adelaide and Uncle Tim, Auntie Lillian, and Anai, whose thoughtful care packages and sweet letters were unexpected and much appreciated. Thank you Marcin whose positive attitude and "24" synopses keep me smiling and looking forward to Mondays. Thank you to the Fletcher students who have taken time out of their busy schedules and holiday weekend to come see me or to sign cards and send well wishes. A special shout-out to the Boston Leukemia Team-in-Training for taking me on as a source of inspiration; I am humbled.
I apologize that this list is blatently abbreviated but please know that I have received all your cards, phone calls, blog posts, and the nurses appreciate the flowers that I cannot receive. Everything is so appreciated. I don't know how to say that in a less trite way, but I hope my gratitute is somewhat conveyed. I wish everyone could see my room covered in photos, cards, and I'm amassing quite the collection of books, SuDoku puzzles, and DVDs.
Merci merci merci a tous.

15 comments:

joyce said...

Hey Erica,

I'm glad you were feeling good today to dictate a note to all your friends. What do you mean 'undeservedly receiving'? Ai-ya...you deserve all the love and support! It just shows how much you mean to all of us.

You should know I have added your blog to my 'news' bookmark, just under my link to the Torino Olympics. I am incessantly checking on the how well the Canadian womens and mens hockey teams are kicking the butts of the other countries, but at the same time, checking on you and how well you are kicking the butts of those WBC. :) Unfortunately, your womens team won't be playing us in the gold medal round, but I know you're still in the game to win.

Glad you liked the 'daan taats' and I hope the Chinese food party was fun.

Joyce

alison said...

Erica,

It is so good to see you up and around! I think about you so often these days! We are all so lucky to have your sister there to keep us posted. I love you so much and can't wait until I can come to see you! Love you!

alison said...

Dear Jaci,

I know this is Erica's blog but I wanted to send a special note out to you to let you know how much I appreciate all that you are doing for Erica. You are so amazing and I thank goodness that you are able to be there with her and able to keep us posted on this website. You are so amazing!

P.S. Happy Belated birthday!

Gioia said...

ERICA,

so great to read you're doing fine. I've been thinking about you a lot, and - yes! - you do deserve all this care and attention and love... mille fois! you get what you give. and even though we know each other for only a few weeks, you've given us januarians a lot, and your smile made our day when we were lost in the corridors of school, overwhelmed by the smells and noise of blakeley kitchen, or sweating in hot yoga or hiphop... :)
if you're up for it, adam, marina, ester, pavel and I will come by this evening, and report the latest gossip of the DC trip... :)

GROS BISOU et à toute à l'heure,

Gioia

Walter Pero said...

Erica,

My name is Walter Pero. Nancy Mahan introduced you to us at our Marathon training yesterday. I am an AML survivor with my last teatment in June 2002. I was treated on 6D in your same room with some of the same Docs and nurses. I live about 15 minutes from Brigham so if you would like a visit please let me know.

Walter Pero said...

Erica,
You were introduced to us by Nancy Mahan RN at our Boston Marathon training session yesterday. I am an AML survivor and was last treated in June 2002. I spent time on 6D in your same room. So I was treated by some of your same Docs and nurses. I live aout 15 minutes from BWH if you would like a visit. My email is wpero@comcast.net. I'm new to blogging but I'll give it a try. Best wishes you are in a great place to be treated.

Rick said...

Hello Erica,

On behalf of everyone at Team In Training I wanted to send you good wishes. We were all very inspired to hear of your story from Nancy.

Keep The Faith,

Rick Muhr
Head Coach
Team In Training

Anita said...

Beak~ I miss you and seeing pictures of you only makes me miss you more! I'll be seeing you soon after my wedding and I'll bring pictures, videos, and cards! Shanghi, anyone?!

Jaci~ I love you soo much! I'm so proud of you and I can't wait to see my best friend. Can you believe I'm getting married? I wish you could be there but we both know you will be in some form or the other. My heart is with you my friend you b-day present will be arriving right on schedule(a month or so late:) )
xoxoxox Bean

Okolo said...

Greetings, I'm another TNTer that learned of your story from Nancy.

I'm so proud of your courage.

If you would like to check out other TNTers (or even particpate yourself) go to www.tntbloggers.org.


Okolo

Jen said...

Hey there, sweetie!

So sorry that I haven't posted before, but you know us "Old" people - technology is just way too advanced for us! Truth is, my computer had a virus on it, so I didn't dare send anything until I was sure it was gone.

I must say though, you look fabulous as always! How is it that you can go through chemo and STILL have more hair than me??!!?? Just kidding, of course, but you do look awesome.

I will definitely be writing more later on, but for now, just keep an eye out for a little something from the kids and I in the mail. I finally got them to sit down and do something together without hurting themselves or each other - sigh! It's not much, but hopefully it will bring a smile to your face.

Cheers to you, sweetie - I'm cheering for you all the way!!

Love ya,

Jennie Sing-Carbaugh
or better known as
Jen for those normal people who can actually pronounce my last name - hi mom! :D

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth said...

Erica - I am a member of the TNT running group who was told your story this past Saturday. My thoughts have been with you ever since. You have inspired me beyond belief and put a new focus on my training for the Boston Marathon.

Sending good vibes your way, Beth

Teen said...

Erica:
I am a TNT triathlete from DC. I learned of your blog/story from another TNT athlete up your way! I just wanted to send you a quick note of encouragement. Stories like yours are what inspire us all to train and fundraise harder! Good luck with everything and keep your obvious positive attitude!
~Christina

walchka said...

Hi Erica just a quick hello from another TNTer from MN. Okolo posted a link to your site on the TNT Blogger page.

Your strength, courage, and determination are absolutely amazing. Keep fighting and we’ll keep training.

Take care…

Joel Trachtman said...

Dear Erica,

We miss you a lot in the international law and globalization seminar. If you have a moment, you might check my blog at http://worldtradelaw.typepad.com/ielpblog/

All best wishes,
Joel Trachtman